Monday 29 June 2009

Which is better, Petrol, Diesel of Hydrogen?

This week I am visiting the University of Birmingham's Edgbaston campus where they have installed a hydrogen gas fuelling station.

Engineers at the University have been comparing five hydrogen powered vehicles with the University’s own fleet of petrol, diesel and pure ‘electric’ vehicles so that they can learn more about their efficiency and performance. The researchers will determine how these vehicles need to be adapted in order to make hydrogen an attractive and cost effective option as a future fuel.

The engineers were even kind enough to take me out for a spin in one of the cars! It was so cool - I loved it! I cannot wait to get my own hydrogen car now.

I was able to speak to Professor Kevin Kendall who is the lead investigator from the University’s Department of Chemical Engineering. He said ‘We are delighted to be the home of England’s first installed hydrogen gas filling station. It has been absolutely necessary that we have the means to refuel our fleet of hydrogen powered cars so that we can carry out our research project into the feasibility of hydrogen in a transport context. This will mean that eventually you may be able to drive a car just like this around the streets of Birmingham and the rest of the UK.’

Thanks to Kevin and the team for showing me round the campus and allowing me a go in a hydrogen car!

As I continue with my hydrogen tour up north stay tuned to see where I am visiting next...

No comments:

Post a Comment